Re: Checking if Aggregate exists - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shane Ambler
Subject Re: Checking if Aggregate exists
Date
List pgsql-general
Erik Jones wrote:

> On Mar 24, 2008, at 2:18 PM, Josh Trutwin wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 14:02:02 -0500
>> Erik Jones <erik@myemma.com> wrote:

>>> Also, the idiom for checking if something is present is normally:
>>>
>>> SELECT 1 FROM some_table WHERE ...;
>>>
>>> This way you aren't dealing with errors, if it doesn't exist the
>>> query simply doesn't return any results.
>>
>> This one still does return an error though I think because of the
>> cast:
>>
>> select 1 from pg_catalog.pg_aggregate where aggfnoid =
>> 'foo'::regproc;
>>
>> ERROR:  function "foo" does not exist
>
> As Martijn pointed out, use pg_proc instead of pg_aggregate:
>
> SELECT 1 from pg_proc WHERE proname='foo' AND proisagg IS TRUE;
>
> And, as Alvarro pointed out in another reply, you'll probably want to
> include conditions in your where clause for the argument types.

Now I'd go the other way and SELECT count(*) FROM....

If it ain't there you get 0 returned - no errors.
In your function you can test >0 and return true else false or you can
return the count and test numerically against the return.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz