Re: MySQL to Postgres question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Justin
Subject Re: MySQL to Postgres question
Date
List pgsql-general

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

I am not sure about 8.3 but certainly earlier releases of PostgreSQL
would have specific dependency issues when a sequence was applied to a
a column after the fact, versus using the serial or bigserial
psuedo-types.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- --

You still get an error if creating a table that specifies a sequence that does not exist yet.    I like to control the name of the sequence, plus the starting values or change the incrementing values.

I might have read something wrong but using serial tells PostgreSQL to automatic transforms.
CREATE TABLE tablename (   colname SERIAL

CREATE SEQUENCE tablename_colname_seq;
CREATE TABLE tablename (   colname integer NOT NULL DEFAULT nextval('tablename_colname_seq'));
I copied this from the help files.