Re: Postgres development - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shane Ambler
Subject Re: Postgres development
Date
List pgsql-general
Brent Wood wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm interested in finding what would be involved on enhancing
> Postgres to allow queries run in one database in a cluster to access
> & join with tables in other databases in the cluster, ie: cross
> database join support.
>
> This would be very useful, & depending on cost, I may be able to
> arrange for funds to cover this development.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brent Wood

A quick search for link at pgfoundry finds a few projects along these lines

http://pgfoundry.org/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=link&Search=Search

one or more of these could be worth having your assistance, or could be
a starting point for what you want to implement.

Is this something you want to get into the core or postgresql or would
you be ok with it being an external (or maybe contrib) addition? Are you
planning strictly pg to pg connections or the flexibility of any db for
the external target?

Being a part of SQL:2003 (SQL/MED) this could be something to be added
into the main postgresql code in a future version. And sticking to these
specs would help towards getting it included.

(There was talk about adding SQL/MED a few years ago but I don't know
what has been done on it)

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz