Re: identify database process given client process - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shane Ambler
Subject Re: identify database process given client process
Date
List pgsql-general
Joey K. wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 6:58 AM, hogcia <hogcia@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I have to find a Postgres database process pid (or other
>> identification) for a given client process pid. Or client processes
>> for a database process. How are they connected? I was suggested maybe
>> netstat could give me the answer and I think those are two pf_unix
>> processes. But maybe there are some PostgreSQL functions that do this?
>> How should I approach this topic?
>> Thanks in advance,
>>

> Try
>
> select pg_stat_activity;
>

> Joey

That would be select * from pg_stat_activity;

The columns that interest you would be datname,procpid,usename and
client_addr

The other way would be using ps (for a *nix server)

Depending on your system something similar to ps aux will give the
process details so the command column will give you something like -

postgres: mydbuser mydbname 192.168.0.3(49438) idle

which is the info you are after - pgsql is the dbusername, postgres is
the db they are connected to then the ip address and port they are
connecting from. The idle at the end will be replaced with the query
they are running.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz