Re: Dump format for long term archiving. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From brian
Subject Re: Dump format for long term archiving.
Date
List pgsql-general
Ron Mayer wrote:
> If one wanted to dump some postgres databases for long term
> archival storage (maybe decades), what's the recommended
> dump format?   Is the tar or plain text preferred, or is
> there some other approach (xml? csv?) I should be looking
> at instead?
>
> Or should we just leave these in some postgres
> database and keep upgrading it every few years?

The version you dump it from is unlikely to be difficult to find ten
years from now. I'd just make sure to append the pg version to the
archive so it's obvious to any future data archaeologists what's needed
to breathe life back into it.