Re: simple UPDATE statement... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Justin
Subject Re: simple UPDATE statement...
Date
List pgsql-general
you need to strip the string apart using either regex  which is
difficult to use or split_part()

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/functions-string.html

The update will look something like this...

Update customer set custfirstname = split_part(Name, ' ', 1) ,
custmiddlename = split_part(Name, ' ', 2) , custlastname =
split_part(Name, ' ', 3)

split_apart can give funky results if the data is not uniform.