UUID vs int keys.... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nathan Wilhelmi
Subject UUID vs int keys....
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello - Curious if anyone has any experience with the new UUID type in
8.3? We are currently using sequences for all of our keys and ids.
However using a UUID instead of a sequence would make some parts of the
application easier. However we have a few concerns about performance
issues surrounding the new type. Are they any significant impacts with
respect to indexing 'random' values over a serial value? The UUID would
obviously take up a bit more storage than the int based option. Are
there any particular join gotchas etc with using a UUID? Any other
gotchas to watch out for?

Thanks!

-Nate