Re: insert ... delete ... returning ... ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Mielke
Subject Re: insert ... delete ... returning ... ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote: <blockquote cite="mid:8368.1203893092@sss.pgh.pa.us" type="cite"><pre wrap="">"Jonah H. Harris" <a
class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"href="mailto:jonah.harris@gmail.com"><jonah.harris@gmail.com></a> writes:
</pre><blockquotetype="cite"><pre wrap="">Not stupid, it doesn't work :)  This was a limitation of the original

There are definitional issues not only implementation ones; in
particular, in subquery-like cases it's entirely unclear how many times
allowit in cases where the evaluation should definately be only once? For example, insert ... delete, create table ...
delete,or part of a join expression?<br /><br /> In any case - I don't have the know how to fix it, and it's certainly
moreof a "would be cute" than "I must have it." I'll settle with my table locks for now. It's no big deal for my
application.<br/><br /> I'm noticing a massive reduction in on disk storage required for my database that I believe is
primarilyattributable due to Tom's reduced overhead for short strings. Some of the tables I am importing have a 10 - 20
shortstring fields (many 0 length strings!). Unfortunately - I wasn't looking for this specifically, so I didn't keep
myold database instance around. But I'm thinking by memory that the biggest table is now 1/3 the number of relpages in

Mark Mielke <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:mark@mielke.cc"><mark@mielke.cc></a>
</pre>