Re: Behaviour of rows containg not-null domains in plpgsql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Florian G. Pflug
Subject Re: Behaviour of rows containg not-null domains in plpgsql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Florian G. Pflug wrote:
>> If you define a domain over some existing type, constrain it to
>> non-null values, and use that domain as a field type in a table
>> definition, it seems to be impossible to declare pl/pgsql variables
>>  of that table's row type. The problem seems to be that upon
>> declaration, the row variable is filled with nulls - but since the
>> domain is marked not-null, that immediatly triggers an exception.
>>
>> Here is an example <snipped example>

> What seems worse is that it still fails even if you declare the
> domain to have a default value.
I didn't try that, but I *did* try was providing a default value for the
row variable - which doesn't work either, since we do not currently
support row variable defaults.

The only workaround I found was to define the variable as "record".

regards, Florian Pflug