Re: BUG #3975: tsearch2 index should not bomb out of 1Mb limit - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Euler Taveira de Oliveira
Subject Re: BUG #3975: tsearch2 index should not bomb out of 1Mb limit
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Edwin Groothuis wrote:

> Ouch. But... since very long words are already not indexed (is the length
> configurable anywhere because I don't mind setting it to 50 characters), I
> don't think that it should bomb out of this but print a similar warning like
> "String only partly indexed".

This is not a bug. I would say it's a limitation. Look at
src/include/tsearch/ts_type.h. You could decrease len in WordEntry to 9
(512 characters) and increase pos to 22 (4 Mb). Don't forget to update
MAXSTRLEN and MAXSTRPOS accordingly.

> I'm still trying to determine how big the message it failed on was...

Maybe we should change the "string is too long for tsvector" to "string
is too long (%ld bytes, max %ld bytes) for tsvector".

--
   Euler Taveira de Oliveira
   http://www.timbira.com/