client_encoding - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dean Gibson (DB Administrator)
Subject client_encoding
Date
List pgsql-general
If I "ALTER DATABASE ... SET client_encoding TO DEFAULT", is the default
the "client_encoding" in postgresql.conf when the server was last
started, or the value at the time the "ALTER DATABASE ... SET
client_encoding TO DEFAULT" statement is executed?

In other words, if I "ALTER DATABASE ... SET client_encoding TO DEFAULT"
and then restart the server with a different "client_encoding" value in
postgresql.conf, will client_encoding of the database follow the new
"client_encoding" value in postgresql.conf?

My guess is no;  that it will keep the "client_encoding" it received
when the "ALTER DATABASE ... SET client_encoding TO DEFAULT" statement
was executed.

What I'm looking for is a way to have the client_encoding of all
databases track some common setting (eg, the "client_encoding" value in
postgresql.conf), but that may not be possible.  I know I can use
"PGCLIENTENCODING=${LANG#*.}" (and that's not a bad solution), but I'm
curious if there's a way to avoid that (and similar client methods).
Right now I'm basically ignoring the database's "client_encoding"
setting, and always explicitly setting it in a session where needed.

-- Dean