is a unique key on null field bad? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Geoffrey
Subject is a unique key on null field bad?
Date
List pgsql-general
So, we are trying to track down some problems we're having with an
implementation of slony on our database.  I've posted to the slony list
about this issue, but I wanted to get a more generic response from the
perspective of postgresql.

Is it a 'bad thing' to have a unique key on a field that is often times
null?  This application has been running along just fine for a couple of
years now, but when we try to implement a slony replication solution,
this one table consistently has inconsistent data between the primary
node and the slave.

The problem we are having with slony seems to be related to a table that
has just such a key, so we are trying to figure out if this is causing
the problem.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin