Re: VACUUM ANALYZE -vs- ANALYZE on an insert-only table. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matt Gordon
Subject Re: VACUUM ANALYZE -vs- ANALYZE on an insert-only table.
Date
List pgsql-general
That's what I suspected.  Thanks Bruno.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruno Wolff III [mailto:bruno@wolff.to]
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2003 1:38 PM
To: Matt Gordon
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] VACUUM ANALYZE -vs- ANALYZE on an insert-only
table.

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 15:26:56 -0800,
  Matt Gordon <m.gordon@f5.com> wrote:
> If I have a table that I only use for INSERTs and queries (no UPDATEs or DELETEs), is it enough to just run ANALYZE
onthe table instead of VACUUM ANALYZE?  In other words, is running a VACUUM on a table useful if all that you're doing
isINSERTing into it?  My understanding of VACUUM is that it cleans up stale tuples that are left after UPDATEs and
DELETEs.

You only need to vacuum if you do updates, deletes or when you need to
handle wrap around of transaction IDs (about every 10^9 transactions).