Re: Auto incrementing primary keys - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Raymond O'Donnell
Subject Re: Auto incrementing primary keys
Date
Re: Auto incrementing primary keys
List pgsql-general
On 18/02/2008 13:14, pgsql_user wrote:
> so wouldnt I run out of ids one day, if there are lot of failed insert
> statements, lets say for every successful insert there are 50
> unsuccessful inserts, so ids would be 1, 50, 100, and once I have
> thousands of rows, I will run out of IDs ? should I use bigserial
> instead ?

Well, that depends on your usage, so only you can answer that. According
to the docs, "serial" creates an integer column,  which will give you
2147483647 values - how quickly will you use that lot up? If you think
you will run out, by all means use bigserial.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie