Trying to understand encoding. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tomás Di Doménico
Subject Trying to understand encoding.
Date
List pgsql-general
Greetings.

I'm currently using 8.3, but I've been coping with this since previous
versions.

I'm trying to integrate some LATIN1 and some UTF8 DBs into a single UTF8
one. To avoid the "Invalid UNICODE character..." error, I used iconv to
convert the LATIN1 dumps to UTF8.

Now I have the data into the UTF8 DB, and using graphical clients
everything seems to be great. The thing is, when I query the data via
psql, with \encoding UTF8 I get weird data ("Neuquén" for "Neuquén").
However, with \encoding LATIN1, everything looks fine.

So, I have a UTF8 DB, (what I think is) UTF8 data, and I can only see it
right by setting \encoding to LATIN1 in psql, or using a graphical client.

If anyone could help me try and understand this mess, I'd really
appreciate it.

Ah, these are my locale settings, in case it helps.

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=C
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"