pg_restore seems slow - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Willem Buitendyk
Subject pg_restore seems slow
Date
List pgsql-general
I'm trying to restore my database from 8.26 into 8.3 (win32) but find
the process to be exceedingly slow.  The database has about 60M records.
I realize there will be differences based on hardware, available memory,
complexity of records but when I first tried a restore with the verbose
option I was able to calculate based on the index incrementing that it
was inserting about 6500 records per minute.
At that rate it would take 153 hours to restore my db.  I then tried
minimizing the verbosity window and would open it only after a minute
and the speed was improved to about 20000 records per minute.  I'm
hoping without the verbose option that the speed increases to at least
200000 records per minute which would be a fairly reasonable 5 hours.
So is there any way besides using verbose to calculate the speed at
which pg_restore is inserting records?  It would be great to have a
'progress' option so that a person could time going out for a sail in
the morning and then return at just the right time.  Guess you know what
I'd rather be doing instead of staring at the command prompt :)