Re: BUG #3944: Unable to create a database using SQL_ASCII encoding - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: BUG #3944: Unable to create a database using SQL_ASCII encoding
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Dan Hrabarchuk wrote:
> How do I use standard ASCII? My legacy app in not compatible with unicode.

You can use the C-locale, see the user manual, section "22.1 Locale
Support" for more information:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/locale.html

However, you don't have to use SQL_ASCII in the server, even if you have
a legacy app that doesn't grok unicode. The encoding used to communicate
with the client can be set on a connection-by-connection basis with the
client_encoding setting, and it doesn't have to match the server encoding.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas