Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Florian Pflug
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan
Date
Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Freitag, 8. Februar 2008 schrieb Brendan Jurd:
>> In particular, if the git repos were officially supported, and best
>> practises for use with Postgres documented, I think a lot more hackers
>> would be comfortable using git to do their work, which is good for
>> collaboration (as mentioned by Greg Stark and Heikki upthread).
>
> Well, I didn't want to announce anything before anything existed, but this is
> precisely what is being worked on.  Watch for an announcement in this forum.

I've tried with both the SVN and the GIT mirror. Things worked well
initialled, but in *both* cases pulling changes from the mirror stopped
working after a few weeks or so. It seems that both of these mirrors
create the SVN/GIT repo from scratch every time they are updated,
instead of incrementally pulling the changes from CVS. Since the mapping
of CVS updates to changesets is based on heuristics, the mapping can
change for recent commits upon recreation of the mirror. This confuses
both the GIT and the SVN client, and "svn update" (or "git pull") stops
working :-(.

For GIT, I've found a workaround - I've hacked together a script which
uses git-cherry and git-cherry-pick to find changesets on the GIT mirror
which are not in my local tree.

Is there any chance that these mirrors can be updated in a way that
doesn't "change the past"?

regards, Florian Pflug