DBA Book - Not "postgresql book - practical or something newer?" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron St-Pierre
Subject DBA Book - Not "postgresql book - practical or something newer?"
Date
Re: DBA Book - Not "postgresql book - practical or something newer?"
List pgsql-general
Unfortunately there isn't a current version of Joshua Drake's book out
there (which I do own along with PostgreSQL Essential Reference by
Stinson), so alternatively, can anyone recommend a good DBA book
outlining best practices, physical design, etc? I would like something
that is relevant to PostgreSQL even though it won't likely be PostgreSQL
specific. Based on current best practices I could then investigate which
tools postgres has available to implement them.

Currently our small company has a single redhat server for the database
and web server, backups obviously are on a separate box. We want to add
hardware over the next few months and would like to/need to separate
functions and take advantage of things like: replication, PITR,
clustering, failover, plgpsql, material view perhaps, and likely more
which would be useful to speed up and protect our data.

I want to increase my DBA and postgres skills prior to the upgrade, and
would like some direction from somewhere (book, group) on where to go
from here. Our current database is about 50G large and is a fairly
straightforward setup. I am the DBA and am also one of the developers,
and my practical DBA knowledge comes from setting up our database and
administering it. I make use of views and plpgsql, but from following
the lists realize that there are many more tools available in postgres
that could be used.

Two possible references I found are:
- “Physical Database Design: the database professional's guide to
exploiting indexes, views, storage, and more” by S. Lightstone, T.
Teorey, T. Nadeau
http://www.amazon.com/Physical-Database-Design-professionals-exploiting/dp/0123693896
- "Database Administration: The Complete Guide to Practices and
Procedures" by Craig S. Mullins

http://www.amazon.com/Database-Administration-Complete-Practices-Procedures/dp/0201741296/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202257162&sr=8-1
Can anyone recommend these, or others?

Any and all suggestions welcome.