Re: Benchmark Data requested - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Benchmark Data requested
Date
Re: Benchmark Data requested
List pgsql-performance
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 15:06 +0100, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
>>
>> Le lundi 04 février 2008, Jignesh K. Shah a écrit :

>>> Multiple table loads ( 1 per table) spawned via script  is bit better
>>> but hits wal problems.
>> pgloader will too hit the WAL problem, but it still may have its benefits, or
>> at least we will soon (you can already if you take it from CVS) be able to
>> measure if the parallel loading at the client side is a good idea perf. wise.
>
> Should be able to reduce lock contention, but not overall WAL volume.

In the case of a bulk upload to an empty table (or partition?) could you
not optimise the WAL away? That is, shouldn't the WAL basically be a
simple transformation of the on-disk blocks? You'd have to explicitly
sync the file(s) for the table/indexes of course, and you'd need some
work-around for WAL shipping, but it might be worth it for you chaps
with large imports.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd