Re: BUG #3932: utf-8 and upper()/lower(): PANIC: ERRORDATA_STACK_SIZE exceeded - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Florian Wunderlich
Subject Re: BUG #3932: utf-8 and upper()/lower(): PANIC: ERRORDATA_STACK_SIZE exceeded
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Florian Wunderlich wrote:
>
>> - input file in encoding iso-8859-1:
>>
>> set client_encoding='iso-8859-1';
>> select upper('ä'), lower('Ä');
>>
>> (note: the argument to upper is a lower case a umlaut, while the argument to
>> lower is an upper case a umlaut)
>>
>> - database "iso" with encoding iso-8859-1,
>>   database "utf" with encoding utf-8,
>>   both in a cluster with locale=de_DE
>
> I think this is just a case of a misconfigured server.  If you choose
> locale de_DE, which supports only the iso-8859-1 encoding, it is an
> error to build a database with utf8 encoding -- which is why 8.3 rejects
> that combination.

You are correct; if I use de_DE.UTF-8 for initdb, the database with
encoding utf-8 works fine (and the database with iso-8859-1 doesn't).

Because such an invalid combination cannot happen for 8.3 anymore, the
PANIC cannot occur anymore, and thus the bug can be closed.