Re: Log file permissions? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chander Ganesan
Subject Re: Log file permissions?
Date
List pgsql-general
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
Vivek Khera wrote:
On Jan 31, 2008, at 10:21 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

I think you should be able to chmod the files after they have been
created.  The postmaster changes its umask to 0077, so no file is
group-readable.  I don't think is configurable either.
just move the logs into a subdir which has permissions applied to it,
then not worry about the files inside, since nobody can break through
the directory anyhow.
That doesn't work because the files won't be readable by anyone but the
postgres user.

You could just write a cron job that periodically goes to the log directory and changes the permissions on the existing log files to allow reading by whatever group owns the log files, then make nagios a member of that group.  Even if the log file is currently in use, once you change the permissions, they should stick.  Of course, there would be a permission change lag between the time the log file switch occurs and the cron job runs...

As to Alvaro's recommendation of having a setting to change the log group, I think another idea would be to have a 'log_rotate_script' setting...thus allowing a script to be called with the log file name after a log file is rotated.  In such a case one could archive off existing files, and since the switch to a new log file had already occurred, also change permissions, etc if needed.
--
Chander Ganesan
The Open Technology Group