Re: Question regarding accessing only tables to which the user has access - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Fernando Luna
Subject Re: Question regarding accessing only tables to which the user has access
Date
List pgsql-odbc
Hi Takayuki:

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I'll try this in the morning and let you know how it goes. Additionally I'll
passon your comments to the Tableau folks.

Have a great day!

Fernando Luna
_______________________________________
From: Tsunakawa, Takayuki [tsunakawa.takay@jp.fujitsu.com]
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2016 8:10 PM
To: Fernando Luna; 'pgsql-odbc@postgresql.org'
Subject: RE: Question regarding accessing only tables to which the user has access

Hello, Fernando,

Try setting the extra option parameter in either of the following ways:

* If you use the connection string, add "AB=10".

* If you configure the data source using the ODBC Administrator, enter "10" in the "Extra Opts" text box in advanced
settingspage 2.

BTW, maybe Tableau should provide the option to list the tables on which the user has SELECT privilege.  Tableau should
doso by first calling SQLGetInfo(SQL_ACCESSIBLE_TABLES), and then calling SQLTablePrivileges() if SQLGetInfo() returns
"N". Tableau perhaps calls SQLTables() instead.  As the reference page describes, it is driver-dependent whether
SQLTables()returns only accessible tables or all tables.

SQLTables Function
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms711831(v=vs.85).aspx
SQLTables lists all tables in the requested range. A user may or may not have SELECT privileges to any of these tables.
Tocheck accessibility, an application can:

Call SQLGetInfo and check the SQL_ACCESSIBLE_TABLES information type.

Call SQLTablePrivileges to check the privileges for each table.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa