Re: Transaction Snapshot Cloning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Florian G. Pflug
Subject Re: Transaction Snapshot Cloning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> I'm not sure what the most convenient user API would be for an on-demand
> hard-read-only mode, but we can't use SET TRANSACTION READ ONLY for it.
> It'd have to be some other syntax.  Maybe just use a GUC variable
> instead of bespoke syntax?  SET TRANSACTION is really just syntactic
> sugar for GUC SET operations anyway ...

We could reuse the transaction_read_only GUC, adding "strict" as a 3rd
allowed value beside "on" and "off". And maybe make "ansi" an alias for
"on" to emphasize that one behavior is what the standard wants, and the
other is a postgres extension.

regards, Florian Pflug