Re: strange pauses - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Adrian Moisey
Subject Re: strange pauses
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi

>> Search this list for references to "checkpoints". If you run
>> vmstat/iostat for a bit you should see bursts of disk activity at
>> those times.
>
> The most straightforward way to prove or disprove that the slow queries
> line up with checkpoints is to set to checkpoint_warning to a high value
> (3600 should work), which should log every checkpoint, and then see if
> they show up at the same time in the logs.

You guys were spot on.  During these pauses the IO goes up high.

I've got the following set:
checkpoint_timeout = 5min
checkpoint_warning = 3600s

log_min_messages = info

But I see nothing in the logs about checkpoints

--
Adrian Moisey
System Administrator | CareerJunction | Your Future Starts Here.