Re: COPY encoding - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: COPY encoding
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>> In helping someome on IRC it has become apparent that unless I am
>> mistaken "COPY foo from 'filename'" is reading the file according to the
>> client encoding.
>>

>> Is that the expected behaviour?
>>

> Yes, it is.  Not sure if it's adequately documented.

Will this cover the case?

diff -c -r1.80 copy.sgml
*** copy.sgml   18 Apr 2007 02:28:22 -0000      1.80
--- copy.sgml   16 Jan 2008 20:44:02 -0000
***************
*** 363,368 ****
--- 363,376 ----     happened well into a large copy operation. You might wish to invoke     <command>VACUUM</command>
torecover the wasted space.    </para>

+
+    <para>
+     Input data is interpreted according to the current client encoding,
+     and output data is encoded in the the current client encoding, even
+     if the data does not pass through the client but is read from or
+     written to a file.
+    </para>
+  </refsect1>   <refsect1>

cheers