Re: Postgresql Materialized views - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Postgresql Materialized views
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Roberts, Jon wrote:

>> 2) In the end, this is an open source *community*; no amount of formal
>> feature requesting will have any material impact on what actually gets
>> implemented, because there isn't any central control.
>
> Wow.  Being new to Open Source, this amazes me.

Well it depends on what you mean by formal feature requesting. I will
agree with Tom that we are a bunch of cats, you can not herd us. However
feature requests do get done and do have material impact.

However it usually takes more work than it should to actually get the
feature accepted and or committed.

>> someone pays them to do something specific.  Certainly, some
>> contributors pay attention to what's being requested, but I see no
>> reason to think that increasing the level of formality will help them.
>
> What happens when a person adds a feature or changes the architecture of the
> database that is perceived by some as incorrect or going in the wrong
> direction?

They can't add a feature. They can submit a feature for inclusion but if
we don't like it we don't take it. It is the hope that people who are
trying to submit follow this:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_DEV.html

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake