Re: Some ideas about Vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Markus Schiltknecht
Subject Re: Some ideas about Vacuum
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Tom Lane wrote:
> Well, one of the principal arguments for having VACUUM at all is that it
> off-loads required maintenance effort from foreground transaction code
> paths.

Off-loading doesn't mean we don't have to do the work, so it's obviously
is a compromise.

AFAICT, having to write some DSM blocks from foreground transaction code
paths may well be worth it overall, if it saves VACUUM from doing much
more I/O.

Especially if the bgwriter can defer the I/O to after commit time (which
I'm thinking of as another form of off-loading work from foreground
transaction code).

Regards

Markus