Re: JOIN a table twice for different values in the same query - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Colin Wetherbee
Subject Re: JOIN a table twice for different values in the same query
Date
List pgsql-sql
Colin Wetherbee wrote:
> Phillip Smith wrote:
>> As a side note - all the IATA codes are unique for each airport -
>> wouldn't it be better to use these as the Primary Key and Foreign
>> Keys? Then you wouldn't have to even join the tables unless you
>> wanted the port names (not just the code)
>
> This is true, but FWIW, my application will mostly be joining for the
> name of the airport or the city, not the code.
>
> I'll keep the idea of using the codes as keys in mind, though.  Thanks
> for pointing that out.

Oh, now I remember why I'm using IDs as keys. ;)

The code isn't always going to be an airport, and, for example, a train
station in Buenos Aires could conceivably have the same code as a
shipping port in Rotterdam, which, in turn, might well be JFK. :)

Colin