Re: VACUUM FULL out of memory - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Akinde
Subject Re: VACUUM FULL out of memory
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

The system we are building is intended to be utilized in a number of different applications, so the testing we are doing is primarily directed at stressing the system by running it through its paces and uncovering any weaknesses. I prefer to find as many problems as possible now, rather than in production. ;-)

For the current application set I'm testing, I expect we won't need to do much VACUUMing, as it will be a fairly static dataset only used for querying (once all the data is loaded). I know that we will be running some databases with some pretty rapid throughput (100 GB/day), but if VACUUM will do (as I expect), then we'll probably just stick to that. I don't have time to do any testing on that until next month, though.

I do find it odd, however, that pgsql recommends using a VACUUM FULL (as a result of running the VACUUM). Especially if, as it seems, VACUUM FULL doesn't work for tables beyond a certain size. Assuming we have not set up something completely wrongly, this seems like a bug.

If this is the wrong mailing list to be posting this, then please let me know.

Regards,

Michael Akinde
Database Architect, Met.no