Re: reading WAL files in python - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Gerardo Herzig
Subject Re: reading WAL files in python
Date
List pgsql-sql
C. Bergström wrote:

>On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 10:19 -0300, Gerardo Herzig wrote:
>

>>Hi all. Im having some fun trying to write my own replication system
>>using python. I will use the postgres own WAL archiving to write the
>>files,  then my app will read them and do some stuff. As im not a C
>>programmer, im stuck in the mission of reading the binary files.
>>
>>I guess im needing to know the internals of how wals archives are, how
>>big the buffer has to be, in order to have a complete sql command.
>>
>>Can someone point some advice?
>>I was trying to understad src/backend/access/transam/xlog.c, but seems
>>too difficult to me :(
>>

>imho you can save yourself a lot of time by taking a look at skytools[1]
>as it may be more along the lines of what you're trying to accomplish
>anyway.
>
>Cheers,
>
>./C
>
>[1] https://developer.skype.com/SkypeGarage/DbProjects/SkyTools

Oh yes, you already told me about skytools. But im also trying to learn
more about postgres and python, and this seems to a great oportunity to
do that. I dont mind if im reinventing the wheel, i usually have fun
doing it.

Thanks!
Gerardo