Re: Binary data type with other output method - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Binary data type with other output method
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> The reason for my question is: PHP (yes *grumble*) does not recognize
> boolean columns but instead makes a simple string from a PG boolean.
>
> So every time you select a boolean column in PHP, you cannot use
> expressions like:
>
> if (!$bool)
>
> because 't' and 'f' give TRUE in PHP.
>
> I was begged many times by our people coding PHP to find a workaround
> for this problem.

The answer is surely to fix the PHP driver rather than trying to mangle
Postgres. The Perl DBD::Pg driver does not suffer this problem, so it
can certainly be worked around (in fact in DBD::Pg you get a choice if
1/0 or t/f values for booleans).

cheers

andrew