Re: Sorting Improvements for 8.4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Mielke
Subject Re: Sorting Improvements for 8.4
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jeff Davis wrote:<br /><blockquote cite="mid:1198193593.10057.72.camel@dogma.ljc.laika.com" type="cite"><blockquote
type="cite"><prewrap="">Where parallel processing like this becomes attractive is when you're running

a 2 hour query on a machine sequentially running scheduled batch jobs which
can be sped up to 30 minutes. But in that case you're almost certainly being
case?My test seemed to indicate that

sorting took longer than it would to read the file from disk.  </pre></blockquote> It's probably not a relevant
scenarioeither, as this discussion has only been about improving the performance of the sort, and I suspect there are
veryfew database loads with performance characteristics completely defined by the efficiency of the sort algorithm?
emphasizesthis well)<br />     2) White papers exist that document theoretical, simulated, and in some cases actual
executionwhere parallel sort can be beneficial.<br />     3) White papers exist that document how parallel sort is
difficultto get right, and that characteristics of machines in use today prevent full utilization.<br />     4)
PostgreSQLis not designed to spread a single query across multiple execution units (whether CPUs, cores, or HT).<br
class="moz-signature"cols="72">--

Mark Mielke <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:mark@mielke.cc"><mark@mielke.cc></a>
</pre>