Should pg_dump warn on external file dependencies? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Richard Huxton
Subject Should pg_dump warn on external file dependencies?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Just realised I posted this to the wrong address last time...

I've been playing around with the new integrated tsearch2 stuff, and it
all seems to work just fine.

However, if you define an external dictionary file (in my case a list of
half-a-dozen stopwords) then obviously pg_dump can't dump that file.

On restore you (correctly) get an error that the file doesn't exist. I
was wondering whether pg_dump should issue a warning ("dump file depends
on external file ...").

Of course we don't do that for procedural languages/contrib stuff at
present. However, they seem a lot "heavier" than a dictionary file and
it seems less likely an admin (e.g. me) might fail to prepare the target
accordingly.

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd