scrollable cursor in functions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Cedric Boudin
Subject scrollable cursor in functions
Date
List pgsql-general
Dear members of the list,

on a server 8.1.9 I try to do this:
++++++++++
create or replace function dummy() returns void
as
$$
DECLARE liahona SCROLL CURSOR with hold FOR SELECT * FROM album ;
BEGIN

--DECLARE liahona SCROLL CURSOR with hold FOR SELECT * FROM album ;
-- Set up a cursor:

-- Fetch the first 5 rows in the cursor liahona:
FETCH FORWARD 5 FROM liahona;

FETCH PRIOR FROM liahona;

-- Close the cursor and end the transaction:
CLOSE liahona;
COMMIT;

end;
$$ language plpgsql;
--------------
I do get:
++++++++++

ERROR:  syntax error at or near "CURSOR"
CONTEXT:  invalid type name "SCROLL CURSOR with hold FOR SELECT * FROM
album"
compile of PL/pgSQL function "dummy" near line 1
--------------
If I put the cursor declaration in the begin->end  block it does not matter.
If I do:
BEGIN work;

DECLARE liahona SCROLL CURSOR with hold FOR SELECT * FROM album ;
-- Set up a cursor:

-- Fetch the first 5 rows in the cursor liahona:
FETCH FORWARD 5 FROM liahona;

FETCH PRIOR FROM liahona;

-- Close the cursor and end the transaction:
CLOSE liahona;
COMMIT WORK;