Re: Marking some contrib modules as trusted extensions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Marking some contrib modules as trusted extensions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
=?UTF-8?Q?Darafei_=22Kom=D1=8Fpa=22_Praliaskouski?= <me@komzpa.net> writes:
>> btree_gin
>> btree_gist

> I would even ask btree_gin and btree_gist to be moved to core.

That's not in scope here.  Our past experience with trying to move
extensions into core is that it creates a pretty painful upgrade
experience for users, so that's not something I'm interested in doing
... especially for relatively marginal cases like these.

There's also a more generic question of why we should want to move
anything to core anymore.  The trusted-extension mechanism removes
one of the biggest remaining gripes about extensions, namely the
pain level for installing them.  (But please, let's not have that
debate on this thread.)