Re: replication in Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: replication in Postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
Jeff Larsen wrote:
>> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>>> Glyn Astill wrote:

> Yes, but I'd like something better than "near real time" as the above
> page describes. Or maybe someone could clarify that.... Besides,
> EnterpriseDB does not save me enough money.

Well do what EnterpriseDB does :) use Slony. Which is free of course.

> In my current commercial
> DB, if a transaction is committed on the master, it is guaranteed to
> be committed to the secondary. In our business, losing one customer
> order could lose us the customer for good.

Well in a proper asynchronous environment this is possible, e.g; if it
gets successfully replicated it will commit on the slave.

However synchronous is obviously the fool proof way to go about this as
you won't get a commit until everyone commits.

Now, if you really want to make your life cheap :)

Use PostgreSQL + Slony on two nodes, then run a third node explicitly
for use with drdbd which is synchronous block level replication.

No license fees :)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake