Re: Urgent: Tuning strategies? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvar Freude
Subject Re: Urgent: Tuning strategies?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

-- Markus Wollny <Markus.Wollny@computec.de> wrote:

> How can we reduce swap-activity further, because I
> think it's quite high (see top-output)?

you may try to reduce the shared memory and sorting memory for postgres,
sometimes it's too high and it's better to not use too much shared memory.

Here are some hints for this topic:

   http://www.ca.postgresql.org/docs/momjian/hw_performance/

> We do use
> EXPLAIN-output for finding out if our indexes are used or not (and it
> seems they are),

explain is not only interesting for checking the use of indexes; I use it
also to check if some queries took too long. With "explain analyze" in 7.2
you can measure the time which a query really needs, not only the estimated
time.

Ciao
  Alvar

--