Re: best way to handle enum type - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Hart
Subject Re: best way to handle enum type
Date
List pgsql-general
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Hart wrote:
>
>> On a side note, I was just reading through the 8.3 changelog, (where I
>> read about the enum datatype) and I noticed this line
>>
>>     *
>>
>>       Widen the MONEY data type to 64 bits (D'Arcy Cain)
>>
>>       This greatly increases the range of supported MONEY values.
>>
>> I may be mistaken, but when I started developing this system (a data
>> mine for a financial institution) I was told that the money datatype was
>> deprecated and should not be used. Is this datatype still being worked
>> on, and would it be viable to use in my development, as it is currently
>> or in preparation for 8.3?
>>

> Uh, yea, we did discuss this during 8.3 development, and you will see in
> the 8.3 docs that MONEY is no longer marked as depricated.
>
>     http://momjian.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/datatype-money.html
>
> Basically MONEY had some major limitations but now someone is working on
> improve it so we probably will keep it.
>
> We still have these TODO items for MONEY:
>
> * Add locale-aware MONEY type, and support multiple currencies
>
>   http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2005-08/msg01432.php
>   http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-03/msg01181.php
>
> * MONEY dumps in a locale-specific format making it difficult to
>   restore to a system with a different locale
Ok, that's pretty much what I was told. Our data mine doesn't need to be
aware of other locales/monetary formats atm, but given the changes that
are happening with the datatype, I think I'll just have to stick with
numeric(12,2). Are those TODO items scheduled to be worked on in 8.4 or
are they more of a 'someday' item?