Re: best way to handle enum type - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Hart
Subject Re: best way to handle enum type
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Hart wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Tom Hart wrote:
>>
>>> Hey everybody. I have a field that, in my earlier mySQL days would have
>>> been an enum('q','y','m','c'), and I'm wondering what's the best way to
>>> handle this in pgsql.
>>>

>> If it's an option, upgrade to 8.3 and use the new enum support.
> Oops, I think I just got caught not doing my homework :-) Thanks for
> being nice about it Peter.
>
> I don't think I'll be able to convince my supervisor to install a beta
> while we're still developing the system, but once it becomes more
> stable (both my system and 8.3) then it's definitely something we'll
> look at.
>
> Thanks for your reply.
On a side note, I was just reading through the 8.3 changelog, (where I
read about the enum datatype) and I noticed this line

    *

      Widen the MONEY data type to 64 bits (D'Arcy Cain)

      This greatly increases the range of supported MONEY values.

I may be mistaken, but when I started developing this system (a data
mine for a financial institution) I was told that the money datatype was
deprecated and should not be used. Is this datatype still being worked
on, and would it be viable to use in my development, as it is currently
or in preparation for 8.3?