Re: loading a funtion script from a file - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: loading a funtion script from a file
Date
List pgsql-general
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Nov 21, 2007 11:16 AM, Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com> wrote:
>> Scott Marlowe wrote:
>>> And from the more than one way to skin a cat department:
>>>
>>> cat my.sql | psql mydb
>>> psql mydb < my.sql
>> Bearing in mind that although both mine and Scott's cats are skinless,
>> mine gave me line numbers in error messages.
>
> So do both of mine...  In fact, trying all four ways (\i, cat | psql,
> psql < file.sql, and psql -f file) gave me the same error output.

Hmm - never used to... (checks)

Can't get the same here (v8.2) apart from the COPY errors.

=== begin test1.sql ===
BEGIN;

CREATE TABLE test1 (a int, b text, PRIMARY KEY (a)) ;

COPY test1 FROM STDIN;
1   AAA
2   BBB
3   CCC
1   AAA
\.

SELCT true;

ROLLBACK;
=== end test1.sql ===

$ psql82 -U richardh -f test1.sql
BEGIN
psql:test1.sql:3: NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create
implicit index "test1_pkey" for table "test1"
CREATE TABLE
psql:test1.sql:10: ERROR:  duplicate key violates unique constraint
"test1_pkey"
CONTEXT:  COPY test1, line 4: "1        AAA"
psql:test1.sql:12: ERROR:  syntax error at or near "SELCT"
LINE 1: SELCT true;
         ^
ROLLBACK

$ cat test1.sql | psql82 -U richardh