Re: [ADMIN] Error while starting postgreSQL service - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: [ADMIN] Error while starting postgreSQL service
Date
List pgsql-general
Bebarta, Simanchala wrote:

 >> Does the problem go away when you put shared_buffers back to a lower
 >> number?
 >>
> Yes, when I set the value to 1300 MB, everything goes fine. Any value
> higher than this value does not allow me to start the service.

It's quite possible that you can't go any higher (I don't know enough
about Windows' memory handling). It's quite possible you don't want to
anyway.
Don't forget, you want to allow space for the following:
- Windows itself
- Other applications
- Each backend of PostgreSQL will need its own memory when running queries.
- Filesystem caching.

PostgreSQL isn't like some other RDBMS where you dedicate a big block of
memory just to it.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd