Re: pkg-config files for libpq and ecpg - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pkg-config files for libpq and ecpg
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 3/24/13 1:55 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I experimented a bit with this version of the patch.  The hunk that
>> removes -I$(libpq_srcdir) and $(libpq) from the ecpg/compatlib build
>> breaks the build for me, so I took it out.

> What was the error message?  Probably not important, but curious.

ecpg's #include of libpq-fe.h failed.  I speculate that you didn't
notice because you tested on a machine where libpq-fe.h exists in
/usr/include.

>> At least for the libraries we are currently proposing to pkgconfig-ify,
>> it seems to me that we only want a -I for where we are installing our
>> own headers; there is no need for anything else.  That is,
>> echo 'Cflags: -I$(includedir)'
>> seems like plenty.  We aren't exposing any other packages' headers
>> in the public header files for these libraries, so there's no need
>> to tell client packages about them.

> libpq exposes at least openssl and gssapi, so we need those at least.

No, it does not.  A client might choose to #include those of its own
accord, but then it's the client's problem.  Our exported headers do
not #include anything more exotic than <stdio.h>, and it's not the
business of the pkg-config switches to provide for anything beyond
allowing inclusions of our headers to succeed.