Re: convert access sql to postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shane Ambler
Subject Re: convert access sql to postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Hart wrote:
> Hey guys. I have a long piece of sql that I'm trying to take out of an
> existing Access db and modify to work with Postgresql. I've started
> trying to convert it, but I've come across a problem that I don't even
> know how to describe, let alone google. Here's the function
>
> INSERT INTO MemberMailingAddress (
> mb_cn_num,
> mb_acct_num,
> isactive,
> ismember,
> ismail,
> ispromomail,
> ... <trimmed for your convenience> ...
>
> )
> SELECT
> mb_cn_num,
> mb_acct_num,
> mb_stat_cd<>1 as isactive,
> mb_stat_cd=0 as ismember,
> isactive and (mb_mail_cd=0 or mb_mail_cd=1) as ismail,
> ismail and (mb_stat_cd=0 or mb_stat_cd=2) as ispromomail,
> ... <trimmed for your convenience> ...
>
> FROM member
> ORDER BY mb_cn_num, mb_acct_num
> ;
>
> Specifically I'm looking at these two lines
>
> isactive and (mb_mail_cd=0 or mb_mail_cd=1) as ismail,
> ismail and (mb_stat_cd=0 or mb_stat_cd=2) as ispromomail,

Lets's clarify something
- the insert puts data into the MemberMailingAddress table which
includes the column isactive

The select retrieves and calculates data from the member table.

The select calculates a value for the third column that you alias to be
named isactive.

Are you expecting the 5th and 6th column (as ismail - as ispromomail) to
calculate from the 3rd and 5th column of the select or from the columns
of MemberMailingAddress?

If you expect the later you need to add a join to the
MemberMailingAddress table to get those columns. (or use a sub-select to
get the data)

If you are only calculating from the member table then you will need to
repeat the calculations instead of referring to the alias. And if this
is the case how does the insert fit with the issue of the select?

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL@Sheeky.Biz

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz