Re: Curious about dead rows. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Curious about dead rows.
Date
List pgsql-performance
<b42b73150711161401p13e93e4dn19bc8388a2da9208@mail.gmail.com>, "Merlin Moncure"
<mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 16, 2007 10:56 AM, Brad Nicholson <bnichols@ca.afilias.info> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hah, I think you are on to something.  ANALYZE is telling the truth
>> > about how many "dead" rows it saw, but its notion of "dead" is "not good
>> > according to SnapshotNow".  Thus, rows inserted by a not-yet-committed
>> > transaction would be counted as dead.  So if these are background
>> > auto-analyzes being done in parallel with inserting transactions that
>> > run for awhile, seeing a few not-yet-committed rows would be
>> > unsurprising.
>> >
>> > I wonder if that is worth fixing?  I'm not especially concerned about
>> > the cosmetic aspect of it, but if we mistakenly launch an autovacuum
>> > on the strength of an inflated estimate of dead rows, that could be
>> > costly.
>>
>> Sounds to me like that could result in autovacuum kicking off while
>> doing large data loads.  This sounds suspiciously like problem someone
>> on -novice was having - tripping over a windows autovac bug while doing
>> a data load
>>
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-novice/2007-11/msg00025.php
>
> I am almost 100% I've seen this behavior in the field...

I know I've seen bulk loads go significantly faster with autovacuum
turned off.  It always seemed like a bigger difference than what the
ANALYZE would cause.  I bet this explains it.

-Kevin