Re: Linux v.s. Mac OS-X Performance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mark Niedzielski
Subject Re: Linux v.s. Mac OS-X Performance
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks to all for the help - and the sanity check.  The problem was in
the test and not in the configuration.

We were using a particularly difficult query as a reference (and fully
understanding that it is a two-dimensional alternative to a proper
benchmark).  On our test system each run was with empty caches.  The
test on the Mac was with caches loaded.  Once we started running the
tests with loaded caches, the tuning parameters started behaving as
expected.  In the end we took a 880 second query to 3.4 seconds
(compared to 95 seconds on the Mac).

The key was the fact that large configuration changes drew no measurable
change in performance.  And that is when you know you are turning the
wrong knobs!