Re: trap for any exception - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Bart Degryse
Subject Re: trap for any exception
Date
List pgsql-sql
I think you should carefully read what the manual tells about PL/pgSQL (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/plpgsql.html) and especially about Trapping Errors (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/plpgsql-control-structures.html#PLPGSQL-ERROR-TRAPPING).

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007, Sabin Coanda wrote:

> > I read 37.7.5. Trapping Errors, but the syntax requires to write
> > explicitly the exception condition, and not a generic one.
> >
> > Is it possible to build a generic trap or do you know a workaround for
> > that ?
> >
> Sorry, I found the OTHERS condition that trap any error.
>
> But the question still remains to find how could I interpret it and found
> the error code and message ?

I think you'll want to look at SQLSTATE and SQLERRM inside the exception
handler.

               http://archives.postgresql.org