Re: automating backups with windows scheduled tasks and pg_dumpall - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Hart
Subject Re: automating backups with windows scheduled tasks and pg_dumpall
Date
List pgsql-general
SCassidy@overlandstorage.com wrote:
> One other oddity I ran into recently on one system only, is that a
> perl program (.pl extension) worked fine from the command-line,
> double-clicked on, etc. but in the scheduled job, I had to put "perl
> xxx.pl" for it to work.  Maybe if all else fails, try "cmd.exe
> xxx.bat" or "command.com xxx.bat" or similar in the scheduled task?
Thanks for your reply.

I just got this running right before I read this email. A shame, because
this tip precisely would have helped me. Turns out that on the command
line you can just type foobar.bat, but in scheduled tasks, you must
place a cmd.exe /c before it, instructing windows to spawn a shell first
(why windows isn't intelligent enough to figure this out on it's own, I
have no idea). Anyway if anybody else is curious I didn't change
anything in the batch file I posted previously, but I changed the
scheduled task command from "c:\foo\bar\pg_backup.bag" to "cmd.exe /c
c:\foo\bar\pg_backup.bat".

Hope this can help somebody else avoid the hours of confusion.

On a side note, you seem to have a pretty strange email client setup,
because your text came through extremely small (almost unreadable) to
me, yet your signature came out just fine. Odd...