Re: Gborg: announcement by 404

From: Shane Ambler
Subject: Re: Gborg: announcement by 404
Date: ,
List: pgsql-advocacy

Tree view

Gborg: announcement by 404  ("Greg Sabino Mullane", )
 Re: Gborg: announcement by 404  (Shane Ambler, )
  Re: Gborg: announcement by 404  (Andrew Sullivan, )
   Re: [pgsql-www] Gborg: announcement by 404  ("Marc G. Fournier", )
    Re: [pgsql-www] Gborg: announcement by 404  (Robert Treat, )
   Re: Gborg: announcement by 404  (Shane Ambler, )
    Re: Gborg: announcement by 404  (Andrew Sullivan, )
 Re: Gborg: announcement by 404  (Gregory Stark, )
  Re: Gborg: announcement by 404  (Michael Paesold, )
   Re: Gborg: announcement by 404  (Magnus Hagander, )
 Re: [pgsql-www] Gborg: announcement by 404  ("Marc G. Fournier", )
  Redirects for gborg are in place  ("Greg Sabino Mullane", )
   Re: Redirects for gborg are in place  (Dave Page, )
   Re: Redirects for gborg are in place  (Michael Paesold, )
    Re: Redirects for gborg are in place  (Andrew Sullivan, )
   Re: Redirects for gborg are in place  (Robert Treat, )
 Re: Gborg: announcement by 404  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
  Re: Gborg: announcement by 404  (Robert Treat, )
   Re: [pgsql-www] Gborg: announcement by 404  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
    Please take Gborg thread off of -advocacy  (Josh Berkus, )
 Re: [pgsql-www] Gborg: announcement by 404  (Andrew Sullivan, )
  Re: [pgsql-www] Gborg: announcement by 404  (Bruce Momjian, )

Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 06:18:36PM +1030, Shane Ambler wrote:
>> Yes, well, it has only taken a few years to transfer across and finalise
>> the move so you may have missed some of the notices and discussions.
>
> I think this misses the point.  Here's the way the move was handled:

Not from my point of view - I wouldn't say that I have been overly
active within postgres, yet over the last couple of years I have heard
of the move to pgfoundry and have progressively been looking there more
than gborg even when I come to a link to gborg I have learned to then
search for it at pgfoundry.

It has been confusing having two different places listing the same
projects (for the most part) especially when it is not consistent with
which site had the most recent work.

The developers that used these sites have had more than enough time to
transfer their work and now users only have one place to go.
I do think redirection/moved messages should be coming from gborg for a
while instead of just the quick disappearing act.

I guess the real question is how much traffic has gborg been receiving
before the shutdown and how much of that came from google or similar
searches? If this is low as I expect, then updating google listings will
be the major hurdle to complete the changeover.

--

Shane Ambler

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz