Re: Linux v.s. Mac OS-X Performance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Wampler
Subject Re: Linux v.s. Mac OS-X Performance
Date
List pgsql-general
Sam Mason wrote:
> And what's the performance hit of using native 64bit code?  I'd guess
> similar, moving twice as much data around with each pointer has got to
> affect things.

That's probably difficult to predict.  Since the architecture is 64-bits,
it shouldn't cost any more to move a 64-bit pointer around as a 32-bit
one.  (Plus, I *think* you get more registers in 64-bit mode.)

However, a good optimizer might figure out it can move two 32-bit pointers
with one 64-bit transfer.

--
Steve Wampler -- swampler@noao.edu